Man in Critical Condition After Hit-and-Run in Etobicoke, Driver Returns to Scene

A hit-and-run early Tuesday morning in Etobicoke has left a pedestrian with life-threatening injuries; the driver initially fled but has returned, say police.

A man in his 30s has been left in life-threatening condition after a hit-and-run incident in Etobicoke early Tuesday morning, according to Toronto Emergency Services.

The collision occurred around 6:20 a.m. at the busy intersection of Kipling Avenue and Ronson Drive, just north of Highway 401. Emergency crews responded to reports of a pedestrian having been struck by a vehicle.

Paramedics rushed the injured man to a local trauma centre. Details of his injuries have not been disclosed, but they have been described as life-threatening.

In a troubling turn of events, the driver involved in the crash initially fled the scene, police confirmed. However, the individual later returned. It remains unclear at this stage what prompted the driver to leave or what may have led to their decision to come back.

As a result of the incident, the area around Kipling and Ronson was cordoned off to allow for an extensive investigation. Motorists were advised to seek alternative routes as the intersection was closed for several hours following the accident.

Toronto Police have yet to release the identity of the driver or any charges that may be laid. They are calling for witnesses to come forward to aid in the investigation.

“This is a busy intersection where many of our residents travel every day,” said an officer at the scene. “We urge anyone who saw anything to help us understand the circumstances that led to this unfortunate event.”

This incident adds to the growing concerns over pedestrian safety in the Greater Toronto Area, prompting local advocacy groups to call for more stringent traffic safety measures.

As the investigation continues, Toronto Police ask anyone with information, including dash-cam footage, to contact local authorities or Crime Stoppers anonymously.

The condition of the man remains critical, and the community is hoping for his recovery.