Three Dead, Two Critically Injured in Langside Street Shooting: Winnipeg Police Investigate

Officers blocked off Langside Street from Sara Avenue to Westminster Avenue Sunday morning. (Prabhjot Singh Lotey/CBC)

Tragedy struck early Sunday morning on Langside Street, leaving three people dead and two critically injured in a shooting incident. Winnipeg Police are currently investigating the case, which has shocked the local community.

Public Information Officer Jason Michalyshen informed reporters outside police headquarters that officers were called to the 100 block of Langside just after 4 a.m. Upon arrival, they discovered a man and a woman dead at the scene, with three additional victims—two men and a woman—rushed to the hospital in critical condition. Tragically, one of the men succumbed to his injuries.

Kelly Nickel, a resident in a nearby apartment, recounted the harrowing experience. “When we came out, we saw that the street was blocked off and there’s police cars everywhere,” Nickel said. “It’s pretty scary that something like this would happen just a few doors down from where we live.” Nickel also mentioned a homicide detective’s visit at about 8:30 a.m., seeking footage from the building’s doorbell camera.

Police said they arrived at the scene shortly after 4 a.m. (Source: Alexandra Holyk, CTV News)

The area around Langside Street was cordoned off, with at least five police cars present near Langside Grocery. A forensics vehicle arrived around 10 a.m., underscoring the seriousness of the investigation.

As the community grapples with this violent episode, the identities of the victims remain unconfirmed, pending family notifications. The police are expected to maintain a presence on Langside Street for an extended period due to the gravity of the incident.

The Winnipeg Police Service has appealed to the public for assistance. They are urging anyone with video surveillance or information that may aid the investigation to contact the Homicide Unit at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS.

“This is a developing story, and further details will be shared in the coming days as the investigation evolves,” the police stated, highlighting the ongoing nature of their inquiry. The community, still reeling from the shock, hopes for swift justice and answers in the wake of this devastating incident.